“Virtual Concert Hall” (VCH) is a social initiative of the Sverdlovsk State Academic Philharmonic, aimed to overcome the digital gap between the “center” and “periphery”, improve the quality of life for all residents of the Sverdlovsk region, regardless of place of residence, social or property status.
Technically VCH is a system of online broadcasts, allowing watching and listening the best concerts of the posters of the Great Hall of the Sverdlovsk Philharmonic in real time. However, unlike other similar projects, VCH is focused on work with “collective”, in other words, organized, listener. This work is done through the initiation and establishment of communities of music lovers, “Philharmonic meetings”, that form and plan their own schedule of the broadcasts (”virtual” concert season), proposed by the Philharmonic, taking into account the wishes and preferences of the participants. Due to this, at the same time the residents of Yekaterinburg and those living in remote areas are listeners of the same concert, it does not matter whether they are in the Philharmonic Hall or hundreds of kilometers away from the regional center.
The feeling of belonging to what is happening on the stage of the Philharmonic gives the special significance to the project. The joint concerts viewings recreate the atmosphere of the Philharmonic concerts in small halls of municipal libraries; allow residents of small towns feel like members of the large community of the Sverdlovsk Philharmonic.
Today “Philharmonic meetings” have established in 23 municipalities and 7 institutions of social security of the Sverdlovsk region.
A separate direction of “Virtual Concert Hall” activity is the organization of online broadcasts in social security institutions of the Sverdlovsk region (”Mini-halls”).
Project development milestones:
- 2007 – the Sverdlovsk Philharmonic started the work on design and technical implementation of the project (technical information on platform of “VCH”)
- 2009 – the first online broadcast of the concert in the Great Hall Philharmonic was held, there were conducted 22 concerts in 8 cities with 461 listener
- 2011 – the broadcast of 23 concert programs during season for residents of Sverdlovsk region
- 2013 (as at 1 November) – there were held 470 concerts in 30 territories, online concerts have been visited by 13 587 listeners
Video about the Philharmonic meetings activity:
- Report on the activities of the Philharmonic meeting of village Tugulym for the 2009-2010 season
- Report about the closing ceremony of the 1st meeting of the Philharmonic season in Kamyshlov city
- Video report on the activities of the Philharmonic meeting of village Tugulym for the 2010-2011 season
- “City on the map” – report of the Regional Television on the activities of the Philharmonic meeting in the village Gari of Tabory district of the Sverdlovsk region
- Report on the opening of the “virtual” child philharmonic season in the village Tabory of the Sverdlovsk region
The most famous musicians who “virtually” performed to the members of Philharmonic meeting from 2009 to 2013:
- Directors: Valery Gergiev, Gennady Rozhdestvensky, Vladimir Spivakov, Krzysztof Penderecki, Dmitry Kitaenko, Dmitry Liss, Evgeny Brazhnik, Alexander Lazarev.
- Soloists: Dmitry Hvorostovsky, Denis Matsuev, Yuri Bashmet, Boris Berezovsky, Sergey Krylov, Nikolai Lugansky, Andrey Diev, Rem Urasin, Leonid Chizhik, Valery Kuleshov, Pavel Lyubimtsev, Daniil Kramer.